ELECTROCUTION

In order to avoid any injury to yourself, do not touch your dog until the electrical source has been turned off or moved.

  • Unplug electrical cord or shut off electricity.
  • If this is not possible, use a wooden broom or another non-conductive object to move the dog away from the electrical source.
  • Check dog for a pulse and also check to see if he (sorry Zola) is breathing. Begin CPR if necessary.
  • If dog is breathing, check inside mouth for any burns, and apply cool compresses to any burned areas.
  • Cover dog with a blanket to prevent loss of body heat.
  • Take dog to your nearest veterinarian as soon as possible.

 

Even if your dog is not showing any obvious signs of having been electrocuted, you should still seek veterinary help right away. Electrocution can cause abnormal electrical activity of the heart, or fluid can build up in the lungs hours after the shock, which can be fatal.

Copyright © Metro Animal Emergency Clinic   MAEC.ca - | - Follow us on social media - - -