POISONING

If you have any reason to think your dog may have ingested anything that may be toxic, look for evidence such as an open container, pool of antifreeze, etc.

Call your vet and be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • What substance caused the poisoning, and how much did your dog ingest?
  • How long ago did the ingestion of toxin happen?
  • What symptoms, if any, is your dog showing?
  • Can you find a container or label from the poisonous substance to determine the active ingredient?


Do NOT induce vomiting if:

  • Your dog is unconscious, semi-conscious, or convulsing.
  • If there is evidence that the poison ingested was a strong acid, an alkali (bleach), a petroleum product, a cleaning product, or if the dog swallowed the poison more than 3 hours ago.


To induce vomiting - give 3% Hydrogen Peroxide at a dose of 1 tbsp. (15ml) for every 20 lbs. of body weight.

Take dog to your nearest vet immediately, bringing along any containers or labels you can find relating to the toxin ingested.

If you have any doubts about whether or not a substance is poisonous, call your vet or a *poison control center.


*IWK Poison Control Center 428-8161

Copyright © Metro Animal Emergency Clinic   MAEC.ca - | - Follow us on social media - - -